Monday, December 11, 2006

Rest days

During phase one of my racing career when I was younger and I had few responsibilities and few bills, I loved rest days. I'd sleep till I woke up (read: no damn alarm). Then, I'd wake up and have a nice sized breakfast (read: 2 bowls of Oh's! or Frosted Mini Wheats). Next, if I was still in college, it was off to class... maybe. If I wasn't in school, I'd hit up the video game system du-jour of the time for some Madden. Finally, when the evening rolled around, I'd round up some like minded individuals for a night of debauchery.

Now a rest day consists of getting up to an alarm, tossing back a cup of coffee too fast to enjoy, and eating breakfast in the form of a granola bar on the way to work. If I'm lucky, I might get an english muffin in the toaster before I leave. That happens rarely. Then it's a typical day of work. Since it's a "rest day," that usually ends with me staying late to either catch up (usually) or get ahead (ha!) because I'm not riding that night and I know I'll cut out as early as possible the rest of the week to ride. Finally, when I get home, it's doing the work around the house I blow off the rest of the week because I'm either riding or tired from riding. Not much of a rest, if you ask me.

One thing, however, didn't change from my racing life 10 years ago: I am again scheduling as much as possible in my life around my bike. I don't think the wife is a huge fan of that. And I still bitch about things when they interfere with my riding. I'm almost positive she doesn't like that.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go bitch to the wife about the valuable pre season training I'm going to miss on our vacation in a couple weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home