Monday, March 26, 2007

Rest, rest, and more rest

It turns out that sometimes you just have to. I took some time to analyze my stellar SDSR weekend and actually do some minor research on cycling. Up till now, I practiced the Eddy Mercx school of training: "Ride lots." ... with "lots" being a realtive term. I suppose it is more accuately "lots given available time after working and taking care of family responsibilities." Just like Eddy did with Axel, I'm sure.

Anyhow, I digress. My curiosity got the best of me and I did some reading. In my searching, I came across a couple articles on overtraining. Could that be my problem? Always tired and lethargic? Check. Trouble sleeping? Check. Feeling of no power? Check. Poor recovery? Check.

It turns out that even though I wasn't riding Mercxesque hours, I was overdoing it a bit on intensity. Between not having actually "trained" for the last eight years and not being 24 anymore, my body revolted against the workload. So, I took last week VERY easy. Only 4 days on the bike, no rides longer than two hours, and minimal intensity. We'll see how the body responds. I'm sleeping well, no longer lethargic, and itching to ride. Hopefully the rain holds off so I can hit the road tomorrow after work. I love daylight savings.

3 Comments:

At 1:14 PM, Blogger "200 METERS 2 GO" said...

Hope your rest pay off. Resting is key to your sucess a tired body can't perform properly.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger "200 METERS 2 GO" said...

can

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger "200 METERS 2 GO" said...

Rest is key to success.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home