Monday, March 05, 2007

Sometimes the stars don't align

My employer has now blocked blogger.com, which makes my posting a much more difficult thing. When I was bored at work, it was easy to post. When I get home, the last thing I want to do is stare at a computer screen some more. Anyhow, Sunday was crit day.

I thought that a crit with only 65 guys and all the big names up in Merced would be easy. Turns out I was wrong. With only 65 guys, there's no place to hide when you need a rest. Did the 100k CBR crit in Dominquez Hills. 69 laps. 276 corners. I was solo this weekend with the rest of my team up in Merced, as I couldn't get the hall pass from the wife. For the first half of the race, I Bettini'd it - just sat in the back and rested. A sizable break went and got almost 30 seconds on us, but we eventually reeled them back in.

Once they came back, I knew the attacks would come fast and furious, so I made my way to the front. And come they did. I went with a couple of them, only to have them promptly reeled back. As soon as any attack was brought back, a counter would go. After one of the weak moves I was in was pulled back, a group of ten with Ben Brooks of the Navigators rolled off the front, never to be seen again - that is, until they came around and lapped us.

Chase groups formed and were again routinely brought back. Eventually a group of eight that did not include me - again - got a good gap and also lapped us. That made a total of eighteen riders a lap up on the rest of the field, which was quickly dwindling from attrition. Seeing as paid places only went 10 deep and there were not enough laps left to get another group around (as if anyone would let it once the 18 reintegrated), I decided to just go for any preems that came up.

In the first 25 laps of the race, we must have had 5 preems. In the last 25 laps - when that was all that was left for me - there was one. And now I am the proud owner of a tub of Clif Shot recovery drink. Two and a half hours of crit racing and I come home with recovery drink. Poetic justic, I suppose.

This weekend is off for us, and the San Dimas Stage Race is the weekend after. I can't wait for that one - climbing and a day off work to race. Double bonus for me!

2 Comments:

At 10:58 PM, Blogger IMA said...

Blogger is blocked where I work too.. Not all of it, just the dashboard pages etc. I can read blogs. When I need to post something and it can't wait until I get home, I use e-mail.. Check your settings. Address the e-mail to:
username.password@blogger.com
(Substitute you own usrname and password, of course.
Cheers.

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger funai said...

Ahh... very cool. Thanks for the heads up. Now I'll have something to occupy those hours!

Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home